Updated: Oct 4
In the midst of the pandemic, you may be thinking "Is Halloween Even Happening this Year?!" or maybe wondering if you should even bother this year. Of course you should. Any excuse to do something fun in 2020 should absolutely make your list. Here are some fun, safe, and socially distant ways to have a great time with or without your family on the spookiest day of the year (although, real talk, maybe not the spookiest day of THIS year...)
1. Decorate your COVID Mask! It’s essential to wear a face mask this year-so why not have fun with it! Make a face mask to match your costume, or have it be the costume yourself. Etsy has so many creative ideas for Halloween masks these year-from vampire teeth to a skeleton face, you can’t go wrong.
2. For the kids (or, frankly, the grown ups too): Glow in the dark scavenger hunt! To avoid having to hand candy to every trick or treater at your door, get creative and make your own scavenger hunt as a fun way for kids to find their own candy in your backyard. Take Easter eggs, or even plastic bags, fill them with a few pieces of candy and a glow stick each, and scatter them in sneaky spots in the yard or around the house!
3. Drive-In Scary Movie! Drive-in movies are a great way to feel like your “going out” this Halloween while still being safe. Many theaters are offering back to back features of scary movies, or fun seasonal flicks like Rocky Horror and Coco. Find a drive-in closest to you here, or set one up in your backyard and don’t forget to blankets and snacks as you pop open your trunk and take it easy.
4. Trick-or-Treat Virtually for UNICEF: UNICEF USA is launching a virtual Trick-or-Treat for UNICEF experience. Every day in October, you can collect donations for UNICEF with your own digital orange box, and participate in fun activities to earn “coins” that amount to a lifesaving impact. After you’ve collected all your money, you can tell UNICEF where you would like your donations to go.
5. Take your parties online: From virtual escape rooms, to ZOOM pumpkin carving contests, and costume parties-there are lots of ways to still see your friends virtually this Halloween. I know everyone is feeling sick of ZOOM happy hours and catch-ups, so make sure to plan your event in advance with lots of Halloween flare. You can download your own Halloween ZOOM background, print out Halloween Bingo Cards, or share the recipe to a Boozy Screamsicle Shake with the adults! Or, do something as a group outside while the weather is still decent!
However you are celebrating Halloween this year-make the most of it! Whatever happens, this will most certainly be a Halloween for the history books...
And don't forget to watch our first-of-its-kind shoppable sitcom, Adulting with Jane!
This page contains affiliate links. If you purchase a product through one of them, Adulting with Jane receives a small commission (at no extra cost to you) that goes toward our production costs.
Help us, a small business, help other quality small businesses!